JAN SANFORD, LPC- MH, QMHP
Jan believes that an important part of the counseling process is to develop trust, rapport, and taking the time to sort out all the confusing thoughts and feelings. Are you emotionally, psychologically, or spiritually drained? Are you weary from inner struggles? Are you struggling with unwritten expectations and rules that cause shame? Then know that you are loved and accepted and not alone. You are worthwhile and capable.
Specializing in helping couples, individuals and families dealing with trauma, conflict or coping with loss/ grief issues.
Jan enjoys working with couples to improve and protect the health and sacred bond of marriage and family. Her license allows her to work with the whole family, and she enjoys working with children as well. She’s a trained EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) specialist and uses this method of therapy to help victims of trauma and abuse; emotional, physical, and sexual abuse. She has personal experience with loss and grief, and enjoyes working either individually or in groups to provide a safe place to express the pain of loss and gain hope for the future.
Jan Sanford has 30 years of counseling experience. She graduated from Huron University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Sociology and Psychology in 1981. In 1989 she graduated from SDSU with a Master of Science degree in Human Resource Development (clinical track). She’s a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of South Dakota with a Mental Health Endorsement (LPC-MH), and is a Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP).
Jan’s training includes working with children in play therapy, depression and anxiety, teens, couples therapy, parenting, abuse, and EMDR.
Five Special Skill Sets:
- EMDR Level 1; Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing for men and women who have been traumatized as children due to sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. Jan was trained and has a special certification for that therapy.
- Couple’s Therapy; Level II Gottman trained therapist. John Gottman is a world-renowned therapist who developed a unique set of principles that are designed to bring a strong marital/emotional house to a marriage. Jan has used this method for several years with engaged and married couples whether heterosexual or gay.
- Certified Trauma Therapist – In addition to EMDR, she uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to restore to health anyone who is suffering. Thoughts, beliefs, feelings, and behavior are at the core of CBT therapy.
- Grief Therapy – Provides a safe place to emotionally express the pain of grief and loss and improve hope for the future regardless of the loss; loss from death or divorce.
- Children’s therapy – Special techniques to help children express the emotional pain of divorce, trauma, bullying, and relationship issues.
Jan and her husband moved to the Beautiful Black Hills from eastern South Dakota to be closer to family. She’s an avid reader of fiction, and loves playing golf, and enjoys spending time with family.
In-person or teletherapy appointments with Jan Sanford, LPC-MH, QMHP, can be arranged by calling Scovel Psychological at 605-721-8822.